8/21/2007

To Work the Works of God

Well, the computer isn't fixed yet, but thanks to my heroic friend Dave that should be corrected fairly soon.

In the meantime, here is a quick update/meditation on recent life.

I've been struggling a bit with being busy. School, teaching, and deacon responsibilities all sorta hit at once. Things are starting to settle down, but it was pretty hectic for a while there. At times, I wondered whether I was actually dis-honoring God by being so busy.

So it was interesting in my devotions to come upon this rich little precurser to Christ's healing of a blind man in John 9.

"As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, 'Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?' Jesus answered, 'It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him. We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming, when no one can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.'"

Jesus went on to heal the blind man, which led to a series of significant clashes between himself and the Pharisees.

Here's the thing that struck me. Whatever situation we face in life was given to us ON PURPOSE by our creator. He sovereignly desired that we should be who we are, face what we face, and do what we do. He will be glorified through it, no matter what. So then, our job here on earth is to "Work the works of God" by displaying the light of Christ to the world in the way we live.

For me, it was a great reminder; I've been given schooling, a job, a deaconship, and other responsibilities so that I might glorify God in my life and display the light of Christ to the world. Outside of that purpose, little matters. Even my busy and sometimes tiring life can glorify God as I seek to honor him first in all things. My prayer is that you and I together would pursue this goal!

No comments: