10/02/2008

Conform to Obey


Today's reading from Deuteronomy was chapter 5, where the "younger" exodus generation recalls the bringing of the 10 commandments. The response of the people is wonderful- they are so overcome they cannot stand to remain in God's presence. They ask Moses to hear the word of the Lord for them, and commit themselves to hear and obey what Moses tells them from the Lord.

This recalled to my mind how important obedience is. Quite a breakthrough, right? But obedience is more than simple action response to a command. Real obedience is a constant reshaping of life and character to correctly submit to God. One who truly fears him will accept his desires on his terms, rather than carrying out their version of what he "means." The Israelites here are a good example, because their fear of God leads them to change themselves to better submit.

"And the Lord heard your words, when you spoke to me. And the Lord said to me, 'I have heard the words of this people, which they have spoken to you. They are right in all that they have spoken. Oh that they had such a mind as this always, to fear me and to keep all my commandments, that it might go well with them and with their descendents forever!'"

I hope that I am growing in my ability to see how I need to change my life to better submit to and obey God out of fear and reverence. If I want to be a minister of the Word, it is key that my life be constantly conforming to better obey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, I was reading recently about how different figures carried out HIS purposes. Some had fears, were reluctant, or just wanted someone else to do the job but I they obeyed, eventually. They were rewarded with a closer relationship with the Father. Further, their obedience helped many other people as well, nations, humanity etc.

I like your pictures on your blog, it is super high tech. I am sorry my blog is not being updated. I can not go on xanga because it is blocked I think I might stick with e-mails.